Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Expedition Begins


Self Moving

Since Janet and I got married 6 and ½ years ago we have lived in Hawaii, Utah, Milwaukee, Maine, New Mexico, Arizona and Virginia. Admittedly a couple of these locations were more rest stops, but they all involved moving our stuff. Each time we moved, the moving team consisted of either just me or me and one other person. I’ve always had an aversion to asking the Elder’s quorum to help.

For those of you not Mormon, an Elder’s quorum is a group of men in our church who are over 18 and haven’t served as a bishop or other in another senior role. A big part of what the Elder’s quorum does is to serve other people and moves are the most popular way of serving.

Moving to Hawaii for an internship and later back to BYU only included a couple of suitcases. When we went from Utah to Milwaukee I was solely responsible for clearing out our little apartment and packing it into the back of our Chevy Blazer. I purged some stuff that later I wished I had been able to keep.

While in Milwaukee for three months waiting for Madeline to be born and for my job to begin we gathered enough stuff to properly fill and apartment. So I had a trailer hitch installed, got a U Haul Trailer and with my Dad loaded the trailer and drove through icy roads in 4-wheel drive and with a stop in PA enroute to Maine further filled the trailer with stuff from my parents home.

Moving from Maine to New Mexico I got serious and rented a 14 foot U Haul truck. With some help from friends for a couple hours and a lot of help from my brother-in-law Brian we got the truck loaded. Brian and I embarked on an epic road trip that filled my long standing dream or putting one of my sister’s fiancés or spouses through some sort of slogathon. Brian passed with flying colors. Brian and I worked like dogs to get the house set for Janet and kids before they arrived.

When my job was cut short in New Mexico I packed up the house with the help of Janet’s Mom and Janet. That trip was in a 24-foot underpowered Budget truck that might hit 50 on a long down hill but struggled to go 30 mph through the mountains of New Mexico and Texas.

Because our stuff was packed neatly in my parents garage in Arizona while I searched for a new job it was easy to pack the ABF U-Pack trailer when it was time to move to Virginia. When the trailer got to Virginia, the unpack was really tough. My pride prevented me from asking the Elder’s quorum for help. So I killed myself and my Dad moving things into the second floor apartment.



Professional Moving

I can’t express how nice it was to have professional movers pack and move us.  As hurricane Sandy was rolling through a crew of 4 movers showed up on time and set to work packing the house. They packed everything and I mean everything. Our couch, bed, shovels, tools…. everything was in a box or in a heavy packing material that that is super stout. I just sat in the apartment and wondered around acting like I was supervising, but mostly getting in the way.



While this was happening two more guys showed up to pick up 800 pounds of stuff that was going to be air freighted so that we wouldn’t be limited to what we could carry in a few duffle bags for a month or two. I kept adding stuff until I reached 753 pounds and called it good.

After Sandy passed the crew came back to finish the job on Wednesday. Watching these guys pack these boxes that go on the boat to Norway was amazing. They had bingo sheet to make sure they accounted for everything. I wish I had a picture of these guys moving boxes downstairs. They carried three or four box I would guess nearly equal their own weight using a strap they tied around their chest.



Moving a Vehicle Overseas

While it wasn’t hard it wasn’t exactly easy. Paperwork and bureaucracy were the name of the game. I needed a copy of the vehicle title, a letter from the lein holder saying they were ok with letting me take the vehicle overseas, insurance, and scheduling a pickup when no one was working because of Sandy.

When the guy drove away with the vehicle on the back of truck was an amazing. The sense of relief of having finished my business so I could get on the plane was incredible.






One Last Thing to Do

We have been in a hotel for 10 days and need to repack our luggage and somehow fit in all the extra stuff we purchased since packing out. I had to keep getting on scale to check the weight of each bag.


Yesterday afternoon we got on the plane at Regan and were promptly parked for an hour when Newark told the pilots they needed to wait because of traffic and they were later put into a 20 minute holding pattern going around in nauseating circles. Although annoying I think it helped because the kids didn’t have enough time to break down in the airport. They still managed to have plenty of fun.








Our 7.5 hour flight to Oslo has been amazing. I am writing this posting on the plane. We are more the 5.5 hours into the flight and the kids have all been asleep since about 15 minutes into the flight. Even Janet has slept most of the flight, which is amazing considering she says she doesn’t sleep on planes. I think I am going to be only one who gets hit hard by the hammer of jet lag.




Our New Home (Written Later) Saturday

We made it and love it.



We are getting settled in with what little we have so far. Today our sponsor took us to the city and we had a fun day. Unfortunately we forgot the memory card so no pictures today. All I can say about the day was our pizza was $50 and we are grateful for Gore-tex and the raincoats we got for the kids.